Let me say it is great to be able to take a digitial temperature in the kitchen. Prime example was last night. First time time I got to use my item. I made a pork roast. It was cooking for 3 hours before my husband got home from work. He was ready to eat. Pulled this baby out of the black box, stuck in in...temp popped on the screen. Instantly I had a sad face, the roast was not ready. Internal temperature was not right. For once I didnt have to wait for mercury to reach and stop rising..then lt in the light for accurate reading it was great. I am so happy witht his item. Digitial beats mercury...but in the event..no battery. I definitely have my dinasours on backup.